Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira was not surprised that Everton were hit with a fine by the FA following last season’s pitch invasion.
An FA spokesperson confirmed on Friday afternoon that the Toffees had been fined £300,000 for two breaches of FA rule E20.
The game in May finished 3-2 to Frank Lampard’s side, who had found themselves 2-0 down through goals from Jean-Philippe Mateta and Jordan Ayew. Three second-half goals from Everton completed the comeback and secured their Premier League safety.
Fans entered the Goodison Park pitch in the 85th minute after Dominic Calvert-Lewin bundled scored their third
The FA statement said: “Everton FC admitted failing to ensure that its spectators — and all persons purporting to be its supporters or followers — conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and refrained from using threatening and violent behaviour whilst encroaching on to the pitch area.”
Vieira was confronted by a pitch invader after the full-time whistle, which led to the former Arsenal midfielder and captain kicking out at the fan. The FA did not charge the Palace boss.
“I’m not surprised at all,” said Vieira on the length of time it has taken for the FA to reach the conclusion.
“This is something quite delicate – you need to analyse it properly and to try to get the best decision.
“If they believe that financial sanctions are the best way, then we all have to accept it.
“It’s not something that you see at Everton often, so the FA have made it clear that it’s something which is unacceptable.
“It’s now time to move on, and hopefully, they will manage the situation in a better way next time.”